Friday, June 09, 2006

Changes

We are in the midst of some changes. Not only will my son be off to Kindergarten in just 2 short months, but his beloved teacher at the Child Development Center has decided to leave her job next week to take care of her family. She is a terrific person with the patience of a saint and the knack for getting the kids to untie their own shoes - imagine my surprise when I realized I was being played on that one! This was bittersweet news - now we would miss her sooner than later.

Last week, this wonderful woman informed the class (and then the parents since we are just the taxis, really) that she is expecting her first child. What a lucky lucky baby!

So, in the midst of our wrapping a good-bye gift for Miss J, we also picked out a few "baby" things to give her. T was very excited about the tiny socks, the softer than soft blanket, the bright orange wrapping paper. As he touched the blanket he said, "hey, maybe this will be the baby's Lovey!"

Now, Lovey has been in our family for at least 6 years. She had humble beginnings at a yellow cotton t-shirt that could be found in my drawer and that I wore with shorts and jeans. We all discovered her magic powers when T was 10 months old. We had flown all day to visit my mom in North Carolina and he could not get used to the new room, new bed, new everything at mom's. He just stood in the (new) crib and screamed. I was very tired and wearing the yellow t-shirt. Thinking that he might settle down if he had something of mine to cuddle with - much like a new puppy and a clock - I stripped off the t and handed it to him. I swear, he put it to his face, took a deep breath and practically fell asleep standing up. They have been inseparable since - occasionally to my husband's chagrin but he has his own "lovey" in that pack of cigs and we don't want to go there right now.

So my sweet child makes this observation that this sweet soft blanket might be good as a "lovey" and then stops himself - "Hey Mom, what if I give the baby one of my old t-shirts that doesn't fit me anymore so he has a "lovey" all his own?!" I agree that this would indeed be a unique gift so he runs to his closet, pulls out one of the shirts that is starting to get a little small in the shoulders and brings it out to wrap. He lovingly folds it, puts tissue paper around it, tapes the edges and writes "Lovey" on it. My child with his big wide-open heart is making sure that a tiny soul will be comforted through all the changes coming her way.


*************Later*****************
Instead of deleting this or changing the whole thing I'll just make an addendum.

T called me into his room after the reading and tucking and reading and drinks and tucking of the bedtime ritual with tears in his eyes. "Mom, can I not give the baby my shirt? I want to keep it" sniff, hiccup, tear, lower lip.
My response was to tuck Lovey up under his chin and say, "Of course you can keep that t-shirt. The baby will find plenty of "lovey"s of his own."
He exhaled, rolled over, put Lovey to his face and drifted off. Too many changes all at once, I guess.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lesa said...

Oh, Ann.

Give Travis a hug, and tell him it's from me.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.